Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

We are DISABLED AND SPECIAL NEEDS HUMAN-BEINGS not TOYS from the ISLAND of MISFIT TOYS

WE ARE DISABLED AND SPECIAL NEEDS HUMAN BEINGS NOT MISFIT TOYS !!!

As I lay here, unable to sleep, head full of worries and stress. awaiting some important choices of the morning. I do what I normally do to gather my thoughts and keep myself calm. I flip through blogs, wall feeds etc on social media. This morning something really got at my craw. I started to notice something about some of the feel good stories I was coming across. Some that I even have shared. There is a pattern to some of them. When they are being written by news outlets, and really important highly well-known social media people. They are referring to the person with the disability as less than >>fill in the blank. and always stating that whoever does blank action towards them that has earned this story to be written is a hero. like guys or girls more popular , or non-disabled taking a disabled or special needs person to a prom, formal, or throwing them a surprise birthday party after learning they never had one. suddenly the story is not written about how amazing the disabled or special need person is. how the wonderful and beautiful soul that disabled or special needs person is. but instead, it always seems to give this amazing credit to the other person for their actions. they are called heroes. no offense don't get me wrong I appreciate as a mother of a special needs child. and as a disabled person. I appreciate these people's actions. but are they not just being decent human beings. like society should be. should not all human beings treat all others like human beings instead of misfit toys?  when did it become acceptable for news outlets and papers, and social media to refer to us disabled people and our special needs kids and less than anything other than amazing kids. they are not less than the next kid. I don't care if they are in a wheelchair or can run. can talk or not. they are not less than the jock, the singer, the dancer or the actor or anyone else in this world. a soul has greatness in it. it does not base its definition of being a good soul on popularity it bases it on your behavior. and sorry but how can someone say oh that guy or girl that took that special needs kid to the prom or to the after graduation party is a hero because little Susie or little Johny is less than average in all departments. really. I mean come on really.
so ask yourself this...when did it become ok to say disabled and special needs people are misfit toys. when did it become ok to treat them like they were? celebrate that someone acts like a human being and was brought up right. but don't in the process downgrade and talk about the other person like they are worthless prior to that person coming into their life.

because just a little side note. each day I wake up and my son wakes up. we bless the world with a few things. more laughter, more smiles and a chance to cross paths with two people that will do anything to cheer you up even when we are down. that doesn't sound like misfit toys to me.



No comments:

Post a Comment

myfitnesspal

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter